Why train with Surrey County Council?
- Nationally accredited cycle training scheme.
- All of our instructors are Surrey County Council employees.
- We have 54 Instructors available - meaning unrivalled experience and expert local knowledge across the whole County.
- Our instructors are all nationally accredited, have passed all safeguarding checks and participate in a full programme of continuing professional development.
Customised training for all ages
The customised training service will be resumed on 13th November 2017, with the introduction of an online booking system. Please return to book then. In the meantime, cycle training in schools continues to be fully programmed. We are sorry for the continued suspension of the customised service whilst the online system is being written and tested.
No matter what your age and where you live, we can provide the training you need - have a look at our customised training frequently asked questions. Popular training includes:
Learn to ride
Never got round to learning to cycle? We take you though the training in easy steps, at the pace you want to go. You can do it!
Get back in the saddle
Are you keen to improve your confidence and refresh your cycling skills? Our instructors will adapt your cycle training programme to suit your specific requirements so you get the most out of the training and, most importantly, get safely back on the road.
Riding with children
Feeling anxious about taking your family out for a bike ride? Let us take the stress out of learning how to escort a child. We train at a pace that suits you and your family, so you all understand how to ride together safely with confidence. Watch our short video about family cycle training.
Using busier roads
Want to improve your cycling skills to be safer on busy roads? We can provide cycle training along the routes you actually want to use, be it to work, school or elsewhere. Our qualified instructors will tailor the training to your requirements.
Training in primary schools
All schools are invited to make a booking. Schools can actually book at any time of the year but, with very late bookings, we cannot guarantee a slot during our busiest times. We offer:
- "Pedals" training to years 1 and 2.
- Bikeability Level 1 for pupils in year 4 – or year 5 if requested.
- Bikeability Level 2 for pupils in year 6 – or year 5 if requested.
- Bikeability Level 3.
Training in secondary schools
We offer secondary school training as customised training. The advantages of customised training for secondary students are that:
- students can have one-to-one training, or train with a friend who will be cycling the same route.
- the training can be for anyone from a complete beginner to someone who wants to be confident on busy roads.
- students can train out of school hours - meaning training can take place at the time students would actually be riding to or from school.
Adapted bikes on training courses in schools
We want our training to be inclusive and our adapted bike guide describes how we try to make this possible.